1) Yoda: No shock here. The little green guy may look frail and innocent but he can pounce with tenacious speed at any sign of a threat. His cunning intellect is second to none. Not even the conniving Lord Palpatine could outsmart the unknown creature (possibly Whills) from an unknown world. His stalemate duel with Emperor Palpatine in Revenge of Sith is something I feel personally was controlled by Yoda. Nothing the Emperor threw at Yoda seemed daunting and the fact that Yoda took the offensive in challenging Palpatine will always sway me towards the little green guy in who is the more powerful being. To gauge Yoda’s wealth of knowledge, one only has to look at his pupils that include Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku, Luke Skywalker, and Jedi Council member Mace Windu. Yoda is also involved with Qui-Gon Jinn in developing ‘Force Ghost,’ the ability of immortality. Props for his outstanding acrobatic display in chasing Count Dooku into retreat in Attack of the Clones.
2) Obi-Wan Kenobi: Hear me out before you disregard my credibility in forming this poll. The reason I place Obi-Wan at such a high ranking and ahead of the mighty Emperor is Kenobi’s impressive resume. Not only did he slice the duel lightsabre owning Darth Maul in half, he also defeated General Grievous (could wield up to 4 Lightsabers), and turned Anakin Skywalker into a gimp. Obi-Wan never was outright defeated (he willingly allowed Darth Vader to strike him down in A New Hope) by a Sith. Sure, Yoda stated he was incapable of challenging Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith but Kenobi became even stronger as the Star Wars series continued. Personally, I feel he was capable of standing toe to toe with Palpatine. Again, his suicide was intended to aid Luke in his Jedi development and not a defeat at the hands of Vader. I find the struggle with Count Dooku along with Anakin in Attack of the Clones to be more due to youth than lack of capability.
3) Emperor Palpatine: this master of psychology has taken advantage of many a mind to gain his seat within the galaxy. Darth Sidious has mastered the use of ‘Force Lightning’ to go along with his awesome lightsaber and force capabilities. Still, the guy is old and nowhere near as athletic as many of the other Jedis/Siths on this list. He’s an Anakin Skywalker whiney plea for a trial from Mace Windu making him oblivious to the Sith cause. I feel the Emperor’s ability to seduce fellow Siths like Count Dooku and Anakin/Vader to do his dirty work is the main reason for a lot of his Galactic success, not his brute strength.
4) Mace Windu: this member of the Jedi Council was tutored by the great Yoda and had was one of the few council members to have reservations about teaching a young Anakin Skywalker the ways of the Force. The purple lightsaber wielding Jedi was an Anakin distraction away from defeating the great Palpatine. Also took out some praying mantis looking creatures in Attack of the Clones and that always counts for something.
5) General Grievous: if somebody has over 10 Jedi kills (according to the animated Clone Wars episodes), he deserves to be highly ranked in the power poll. Grievous’ breathing problem was caused by Windu crushing his body armor over his lungs during the successful kidnapping of Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith. Therefore, I had to place Windu in front of this towering cyborg. Grievous’ ability to use four lightsabers in combat places him at a stronger position than Darth Maul and the resumes of the remaining poll members.
6) Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker: Defeats of Count Dooku and the murder of Emperor Palpatine warrant mentioning for this legend of the Star Wars Universe. His confusing second battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi will always be a stalemate in my opinion. Also took a brutal maiming from Kenobi in the end of Episode III. Vader would also end up being defeated by Luke Skywalker in Jedi but not entirely defeated for he maintained enough energy to dispatch the Emperor. It should be stated that Skywalker did lose his arm in combat with Dooku but eventually defeated the Count in Episode III.
7) Luke Skywalker: My boyhood idol will not be going any lower on this poll. This legend restored order to the galaxy and deserves credit for not making the same mistakes as his father. Showed some exceptional piloting skills in destroying the first Death Star. Took out his main nemesis (Vader) in Jedi but couldn’t challenge the Emperor’s Force Lightning.
8) Count Dooku: The wealthiest man in the Galaxy was also quite a Jedi with the ability to use Force Lightning. Initially subdued Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker during Attack of the Clones. Fleeing the mighty Yoda doesn’t help one’s style points though. Eventually death at the hands of the #6 ranked Jedi/Sith doesn’t help his status either.
9) Darth Maul: His lack of ability to use Force Lightning hurts this mesmerizing character from The Phantom Menace (really the only reason to watch Episode One). The sinister looking Darth Maul matched his unique looking features with an amazing staff like lightsaber. Killed the #10 ranked Qui-Gon Jinn in an epic duel at the end of Episode One.
10) Qui-Gon Jinn: Kind of important to the whole saga. Without his discovery and push to train Anakin Skywalker to be a Jedi, we have no Star Wars. It was either him or the guy with the long forehead Ki-Adi-Mundi.